The Website Checklist for Financial Advisors
Luke and I (aka the Digital Doctor Brothers) have dissected and diagnosed countless amounts of financial advisor websites over the past couple of years. Some bad, some good, and some flat out UGLY. But at the end of the day, we have found that all of the very best converting (as in converting new leads) websites have about 8 things in common. So we decided to publish this powerful “Perfect” website checklist for financial advisors.
8-Point Checklist for Financial Advisor Websites
1) Headline at the top of the page “above the fold” letting your viewers instantly know what you do and who you serve
- A. Must be powerful and stop visitors dead in their tracks
- B. It needs to solve a problem or state a problem that your ideal visitor is dealing with in their life
- This is the first thing that people read when they come to your site and it will be the deciding factor if they stay or leave, so make this count.
- Remember that your site should NOT be about you, it should be about your visitor and always be answering what is in it for them.
2) USP – your Unique Selling Proposition MUST be on your home page somewhere. What sets you apart? What pain do you cure for your clients?
- State the Problem
- Agitate the problem and ask your viewers what their life will be like if they do and do not fix this problem
- Solve the problem
4) You must have an “About” page or section that is easy to find so visitors can learn more about you or your company
5) You must have an “Contact” us page or area to make it easy for visitors to contact you, find out where your office is, and how to ask you questions
6) You need a professional picture of you, your business partner(s), or your firm on the site. At the end of the day in the financial services world, people do business with people, not companies, logos, or brands.
7) An incredibly clear Call to Action – never leave the visitor having to guess what you want them to do on your site.
- The call to action needs to answer “What’s in it for me?” for the visitor
- List and spell out Benefits (don’t just list features)
8) You must have a seamless way to get your visitor’s information, usually some automatic system that will give them something in return for contact information. It can be a free e-book, report, video, software, etc.
- It must be powerful information
- It must be relevant and tie in with your Headline/Problem that you solve
- This is your chance to let them know you are an expert at solving the problem that they have. Don’t skimp on the free gift/widget/report/etc
So how well does your website match up with this Checklist?
For many of you reading this, I am guessing that you don’t have all 8 of these on your website currently. But don’t let that freak you out at all. Truth is, even as recent as a year ago, I didn’t have all 8 of these things on my own personal website. These 8 special website checklist for financial advisors didn’t come overnight for me, and I would honestly be shocked if many of you already had all of these pieces of the puzzle figured out already.
But what I will encourage you to do is to print out this powerful list of 8 checkpoints built exclusively for financial advisors, and find a way to tie in each and every one over the next month or two. I can assure you that if you incorporate all 8 of these points, your site will be built for converting leads. The only thing you will need after that is traffic!