How nice would it be if other people spread your message for you?
One of the most crucial pieces of the digital marketing secret sauce is getting your content shared and spread. Do you recall the old adage, “If you tell 2 people, and then they each tell 2 people, and then they each tell 2 people, and so forth? At some point, you have hundreds upon hundreds of people hearing the message. Of course in the real world, it never did and never will work that way unfortunately.
However, with the viral characteristics of social media today, your message and content really can be spread to hundreds (or even thousands) by just getting a few of the right people to share and spread your message and user generated content for you via their social media outlets.
For instance, if you post a great blog and three people share it on Facebook, here is what could be going on behind the scenes without you having to do anything:
- On average, each person on Facebook has approximately 160 friends
- So if three people shared your content with all of their friends, that is potentially 480 total new people that could possibly be exposed to your content
- Of course we know that only a fraction of these people will actually see and read your content, but if just one new person out of the 480 potentials actually shares your message with their friend base, this viral sharing can continue to multiply
The main takeaways of getting people to spread your message
As you will see in the powerful infographic below, getting other users to spread your message is not only beneficial, it can be INCREDIBLY profitable.
Here are some of the main stats that I came away with after viewing the infographic below:
- 70% trust consumer opinions posted online
- 29% of Millennials’ won’t complete or buy insurance if they can’t find user-generated content from you
- There were 684,478 pieces of content shared PER MINUTE on Facebook in 2012. This means that some people are definitely getting their message and story shared.
Make sure to check out the other interesting facts about the power of other people sharing your content (aka user generated content) in the infographic below.