Last month (October) our fearless president Doug Bentle asked Franco, one of our awesome financial advisor clients named Tony, and yours truly to attend the home opener of the playoff game between the Atlanta Braves and the LA Dodgers.
And for those of you that don’t know, the ex-LA Lakers star Magic Johnson owns a piece of the LA Dodgers and is one of their biggest fans (not to mention he has some serious skin in the game to make sure that they do well).
What you also may or may not know, is that our president Doug does everything first class (as we found out when we arrived at the seats that he purchased for us). To give you the Cliff Notes version, we sat directly behind Magic Johnson, Tommy Lasorda, and Andy Garcia (a huge Dodgers fan).
Besides having a blast at the game, I also learned how much crazy power and popularity celebrities have. Let me briefly describe to you what we saw first-hand at the game, and how this can impact you personally.
The following bullet points describe 9 innings of sitting behind Magic Johnson in particular.
- A line of people wanting to get close to, to shake hands with, to get a picture with, and to get autographs.
- All of his food and drinks were paid for by other people around him
- He could literally have asked for anything and someone would have found a way to get it for him in that stadium.
- In essence, he had the utmost control and power of everything around him. Even people that hated him or the Lakers were gravitating towards him. The power of being a celebrity in America is unexplainable, yet undeniable.
So how does this apply to you?
As I see it, there is no reason that any financial advisor cannot become a celebrity in a very short amount of time. Think for a minute about the biggest “celebrity” financial advisors out there. Most of them have nothing on you except the fact they took a few more steps to ensure that they always have an endless flow of prospects and referrals.
Celebrity status in our industry can be done by authoring a book, hosting a popular radio show, making appearances on TV, or being found all over the web on places like Google, YouTube, Annuity123.com, etc. What so few people understand is that you can create your very own celebrity status simply by some small acts and a change of attitude.
And if you don’t, a competitor in your area will certainly beat you to the punch.
Finally, here are the top 3 (and there are many more) reasons to become a Celebrity Financial Advisor.
- You will be able to get what you want, who you want to talk to, and have access to doors that were previously locked to you by being a local celebrity
- People will want to work with you (versus you having to sell them on why they need you), and you can build an entire business off of free referrals when done correctly
- You will become the “go to” person in your area before any of your competitors because everyone would prefer to work with a celebrity over a “nobody”. Do you recall the survey a few years back where they asked thousands of consumers who they would pick as their financial advisor if they could pick anyone in the world? The #1 answer by a landslide…Oprah (who ironically doesn’t know the first thing about investing).
Become a celebrity in your area, niche, or community today. If you need help, contact us at RIN. We would love to help you transform your image, brand, and referral stream to that of a real celebrity.